Sweatt v. Painter 24th Street (North) Entry Design Competition Guidelines
The Sweatt v. Painter Commemorative Project will construct a new accessible Heman Sweatt entrance to T.S. Painter Hall on the building’s southern side. Importantly, this Sweatt entrance will serve as the building’s new celebrated and primary entry point.
The old entrance on 24th Street, therefore, requires a unique and creative redesign to clearly mark it as a secondary entryway. Such a redesign of that 24th Street space may include re-doing the landscape and/or parts of the building facade in an artistic fashion, such as murals or other artwork inspirations. However, it must:
- Fit thematically into the Sweatt v. Painter messaging,
- Clearly signify the old entrance’s new status as a secondary entryway to the building, and
- Be aesthetically significant.
Above all, the 24th Street (northern) entrance redesign must support the very clear statement that the new Heman Sweatt (southern) entrance now serves as the celebrated front door and main point of access to the building.
- Students are welcome to enter the competition as an individual or as a group.
- Students are welcome to submit any file type for the competition (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, PDF, Canva, etc.).
*Please note that you must be able to produce a physical representation of your final submission for the Competition Winner Celebration on March 4.
- In addition to their design entry, students must also submit a submission form that asks participants to briefly describe their design entry in 300 words or less. This form can be found in the submission box folder.
*Please note: failure to submit this form along with your design entry will result in disqualification.
- Please name each submitted file (design entry and submission form) with the last name of each group member.
Please email your submission materials to Ulili Emore at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CCI will host a virtual workshop with SmithGroup on February 9 from 8:30-10:30am. During this workshop, students will have the opportunity to engage with experienced industry professionals at SmithGroup and receive feedback on their initial design competition project ideas. Sign up for a 10-minute virtual slot by clicking the button below. Zoom details are available on the sign-up sheet
For questions, please contact Ulili Emore at email@example.com.